the quilted tortoise

Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Short Row Sweater

I was lucky enough to have a holiday in New York this year and I had time to visit two yarn shops, Purl Soho and The Brooklyn General Store.  Both were fabulous and I did indulge!

Some of the good stuff going into the suitcase!

In Purl Soho one of the girls was wearing a really cute knitted vest over a long sleeve shirt with skinny jeans and high top trainers - she looked very cool!  I asked her about the vest and it happened to be one of the shop samples - the short row sweater.  She whipped it off so that I could try it on.  I was ridiculously excited.  Keep in mind that my yarn stalking is usually done on a computer screen and being in a room surrounded by actual skeins of Madeline Tosh and Brooklyn Tweed can make me a bit giddy!

So I bought myself the deliciously soft Blue Sky Sport weight baby alpaca in colour 505 Natural Taupe (the same as the sample).


This vest is really quick to knit up - it took me less than 2 weeks.  I'd read a lot on Rav about gauge being really important as no row gauge is provided and some had trouble with it being too long as well as too wide.  I knew the sample fit me perfectly so I was really fussy about gauge and had to go down from the recommended US 5 needle to a US 3 needle.

The pattern starts with knitting the bottom ribbing and then it's short rows to get the great curving shape.  It's a free pattern so pop on over to the Purl website and have a look at the diagrams of the clever construction.

I'm really happy with it, it's cute, it's toasty warm and it's fun to wear.  Ravelled here.





Sorry about the iPhone photos!  I realised one of the reasons I'm so slack at posting is that I haven't got around to taking photos with the good camera.  I figure it's better to post with ok photos than not post at all :)






1 comment:

  1. Wow - what a fun pattern and it looks great on you! I love all the yarn going into the suitcase -- way to shop!!!

    ReplyDelete