the quilted tortoise

Sunday, 20 October 2013

Acer

Knitting is my one true love at the moment.  I love each project I finish more than the last and Acer is no exception…what can I say?  My favourite finish yet!


Acer is a DK / 8 ply weight cabled cardigan by Amy Christoffers.  The woman is a genius - I want to knit all her patterns!  It is knit bottom up and then divided at the underarms.  The shoulders are joined with a three needle bind off.  The sleeves are also knit bottom up - well, cuff up.  I knit mine two at a time and then changed to one at a time for the sleeve cap section.  The sleeves are then seamed on to the body.  It's the first time I've tried seaming sleeves and they were a bit tricky - a combination of mattress and kitchener.  I think they look ok though.


The yarn is Madeline Tosh DK in Baltic.  I bought it at the Brooklyn General Store in New York.  This was my holiday and plane knitting for our recent trip to the UK.  I love that this yarn began its life in the US, came to Australia, visited the UK and now lives back in Oz :)


I am so in love with the fit of this cardigan.  DK weight is quite heavy and I knit a size 38.  I usually wear a size 8-10 on top and I certainly don't have a big bust so I must have a large back measurement or something.  My Neon feels a little big so I was starting to wonder if I should start knitting size 36's instead, but this is perfect.  It's not too long and has gentle but clear waist shaping.  I'm finally starting to consider what will suit my height and body shape when choosing patterns.  I don't know why it has taken this long for the light to come on?!?!


I haven't decided on buttons yet.  I have some pretty shell pearl ones but they look a little bright and stand out a bit too much.

Ravelled here.



4 comments:

  1. Your cardigan is gorgeous Michelle. I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly lovely! This is one of those heirloom quality sweaters, especially in madelinetosh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful sweater. The pattern is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- it's beautiful. I LOVE the color! And finally -- someone who knits the sleeves two at a time -- I do too. I'm curious though -- can't you knit the sleeve caps two at a time too? I haven't don it, but it seems like it would be like knitting the heel flaps on socks, two at a time, which works just fine. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete